Otago Central Rail Trail “Family” One Day Wonder
This trip is perfect for the Family, whether it is part of a 10 day stay in Central Otago or you have a spare day on on a road trip. The 37m high Poolburn Viaduct and the 2 tunnels make an awesome beginning to this ride.
Otago Central Rail Trail Highlights
The Poolburn Gorge Section is undoubtedly one of the highlights of the Otago Central Rail Trail as it cuts through the Raggedy Range that separates the Manukerikia and Ida Valleys. Highlights of this section of the trail include the 37m high Poolburn Viaduct, two tunnels, the trails longest bridge and Central Otago stunning landscapes.
You also have the option to take a side trip to historic Ophir before cycling down Tiger Hill to the Chatto Creek Tavern. Relax and refresh yourself at the Tavern and we collect you from here, or you can carry on to Alexandra and we will pick up you and your bikes there. You can also choose to ride all the way back to Clyde via the Rail Trail or the very scenic Alexandra to Clyde River Trail.
Collection from Queenstown by Bike It Now!
You will get a full commentary from our extremely knowledgeable drivers on your 1 ½ hour drive to Clyde. On arrival in Clyde you will check into your accommodation for the next 3 nights at “Olivers Lodge and Stables”. Once settled in you can stroll across the road to Bike It Now! and be fitted for your bikes for your next two days riding. This evening you will be eating at “Olivers” highly regarded restaurant.
Stop by Bike It Now shop in Clyde
We ask you are at our shop in Clyde at 9am.
What you get:
• Hire of the latest Trek Roscoe 7 with Hydraulic disc brakes and 27+ wheels and tyres , includes helmet, NZ Manufactured Water Bottle, dual density saddle cover and a top mounted pannier bag.
Transport to Auripo
You will be picked up by the Bike it now team to Auripo
Take a side trip to Ophir
While in Ophir, you can visit popular attractions and distinct spots here like the Ophir Post Office and more.
Other Cycling Options
- Auripo to Alexandra: 46.5km, 51.5km if you do the side trip to Ophir
- Auripo to Clyde: 48.5km, 63.5km if you do the side trip to Ophir and ride the River Trail
Pick up from Chatto Creek or Alexandra and return to Clyde
• Pick up from Chatto Creek or Alexandra and return to Clyde
• Monday -Friday we can also offer complimentary transfers from Cromwell to Clyde with collection from your accommodation at around 8.45am and return to Cromwell at 4.30pm (4 people min) .